BREAST IMPLANT OPTIONS
breast implant options
At your consultation, we will decide where your incision will be placed as well as the size of the implants you would like to use. In addition, one of the decisions you must make when you’ve decided on breast augmentation with board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Richard Brown is what kind of breast implant you would like. Dr. Brown will make recommendations based on what your final aesthetic goals are, but helping choose which style of breast implant you are interested in is one of the most important decisions of the breast augmentation procedure.
Dr. Brown offers saline and silicone breast implants to his Scottsdale and Phoenix, Arizona area patients. Each breast implant has a durable silicone shell, which helps it last for years. The main difference becomes what the silicone shells are filled with; saline or silicone.
SALINE BREAST IMPLANTS
Some main features of saline breast implants include:
- Filled with saline (salt water)
- Size can be adjusted during surgery
- Requires a smaller incision
- Feels more firm compared to silicone implants
- Increased risk of rippling compared to silicone, especially in thinner patients
- Easier to detect rupture because saline is absorbed by the body
- The minimum age for placement is 18
SILICONE BREAST IMPLANTS
Silicone breast implants today are much safer. They are 3rd generation silicone implants and features include:
- Pre-filled with silicone gel at the factory
- Fixed size
- Requires a slightly larger incision for placement
- Is more natural in appearance
- Is softer and more natural feeling
- Less chance of rippling, however, both implants can ripple
- May require an MRI to evaluate for leaking
- The minimum age for placement is 22 (Unless reconstructive surgery)
There are no studies that show one breast implant is better than the other. The choice you and Dr. Brown make together will depend on the physical qualities of your breasts and your preference. If you enter your consultation with Dr. Brown with an open mind, you will find there are many possibilities and options to reach your desired result.
Dr. Brown is concerned about your safety and health and will do what he can to make sure your goals are met with safety being the number one priority. Educating you about breast augmentation surgery begins with your initial consultation and will continue through your post-surgical appointments.