EAR RESHAPING SURGERY – OTOPLASTY
WHAT IS OTOPLASTY (EAR SURGERY)?
AM I A GOOD CANDIDATE FOR OTOPLASTY?
You are an ideal candidate for ear reshaping surgery:
- If you note protruding, enlarged, or misshapen ears
- If you are a healthy, non-nicotine using patient for more than one month
- If you are a child over the age of 5
- If your ear shape impacts your self-confidence
- If your ears protrude or are prominent
- If you were born with irregularly shaped ears that are too large or too small
- If your ears are irregularly positioned
- If you have suffered an injury to the ear resulting in irregular shape or position
HOW DOES IT WORK?
Dr. Brown can address one or both ears to create a more natural shape while restoring balance and proportion to the face. Dr. Brown will perform a thorough physical exam to diagnose what the anatomical variations are of the area you are concerned about. The goal of ear reshaping surgery is to bring your ear proportions into harmony with your face, which Dr. Brown will accomplish with your ear reshaping procedure.
CONSULTATIONS AVAILABLE NOW
WHAT RESULTS CAN I EXPECT FROM AN OTOPLASTY PROCEDURE?*
- Restoration of normal contour to one or both ears using precisely planned surgical techniques
- Improved confidence regarding the shape or your ears
- Long lasting results that should show little change over time
OTOPLASTY PROCEDURE DETAILS
Otoplasty can be performed under local anesthesia, sedation, or general anesthesia. Dr. Brown will discuss which type of anesthesia is the best choice for you. The standard otoplasty takes 1-2 hours to complete. More complex conditions may take longer. The procedure is usually outpatient, and very rarely requires an overnight stay. Incisions are hidden in the natural skin crease behind the ear. Special sutures are used to reshape and reposition the ear. Scottsdale plastic surgeon, Dr. Richard J. Brown will discuss all options that are right for you at your consultation.
You will note immediate results after the bandages are removed at your follow up visit. Pain is well controlled with oral medications for 5-7 days. A special headband will be used for gentle compression and will be used up to 6 weeks after surgery.
Surgical drains are NOT typically used. Sutures used to close the incision over the back of the ear are dissolvable, while the internal sutures are designed to remain for good to hold the ear in its’ new position. You are encouraged to walk immediately, however, no strenuous exercise or heavy lifting should be performed for 6 weeks.
You may shower 48 hours after surgery and you will replace your head compression garment after your shower. You will be seen in our office one week after surgery, and scheduled follow-ups accordingly thereafter.
TAKE THE FIRST STEP – REQUEST A CONSULTATION
Please fill out the form on this page to request an in-person consultation and one of our knowledgeable medical staff members at Brown Plastic Surgery will reach out to you promptly. You can also call our Scottsdale or West Valley offices directly to schedule at +1 480-947-2455. Brown Plastic Surgery serves the Scottsdale and West Valley areas.
*Individual results may vary*